Then my loyal assistant Mr Mouse and I rummaged through the stash to find whatever we could to match. I declared that no new purchases would be made, and creative recycling would be encouraged. This is what we came up with:
I have quite a lot of Kaffe Fassett Collective fabric in my stash, purchased as both fat quarters and scraps, and discovered marsala lurked within many prints. I also have a passion for velvet, and have a number of rescued garments waiting for a new life. Not least of which were the dungarees of glory (or Hell - depending on your point of view).
These are made of a gorgeous deep plummy/sort of marsala velvet, and I took to them with my scissors with gay abandon.
As often happens around here, I had no plan, just enthusiasm, and started improvising some blocks randomly. I had one rule - each block started with the original marsala linen, and was built around that. In my vintage thread stash I found several rolls of perfect marsala cottons. It was meant to be!
So I made nine blocks. Originally I was going to sash the blocks, but when I put them together they belonged. Can you see where the blocks start and finish?
As you can see, the result was lumpy and bumpy because I was not working with a lovely orderly selection of quilting cottons. Stretch velvet is a rather uncooperative fabric to work with, but so perfect for this job.
At this stage I had visions of Gustav Klimt paintings, and got the idea of gold quilting thread in my head. I was well and truly prepared for a disaster - gold embroidery thread + free machine quilting? It was perfect. One breakage when I started and the rest went smoothly. I did a wiggly pattern all over.
I'm a bit disappointed that the photos don't show the metallic glimmer of the gold stitches. The thread catches the light just how I wanted it to.
I backed the quilt in the original linen. I included the wee triangle fabric corners to hang this.
When I looked at the quilted panel I decided that it was so deliciously tactile that it would have to be a cushion. I imagined it being the perfect choice for the iron throne from Game of Thrones - that thing looks horribly cold and uncomfortable. But then my darling husband declared it is too fabulous for people to put their backsides on, so I made a mini wall quilt instead. I can still stroke the velvety fabrics as I walk past it.
After binding with dungaree velvet, I must admit I am totally thrilled with the result. I wasn't expecting to be as enamored with something based around what is almost a brown shade. With the mixture of fabrics, the golden thread and the rich colours, it almost glows.
So I am entering my creation into the mini section of the Pantone 2015 Quilt Challenge - Marsala and linking up my entry at Adrianne's blog On the Windy Side.
Size 22 inches x 22 inches.
Fabrics used - Kaffe Fassett Collective quilting cottons, various velvet fabrics (including stretch) and linen shirting.
Batting - cotton offcut from stash.
Threads - from stash including marsala tones and gold metallic Mettler.
Bonus: This is the first finish of the Finish-Along with Adrianne at On the Windy Side.