Wednesday 22 April 2015

Little Hexagon Mini Quilt

I had to share this dear little mini quilt. I made it for The Crafty Neighbour. 

I cut some little hexagons for English paper piecing. I am a big fan of the glue method. I use a tiny dab of Sewline fabric glue on each point where the fabric overlaps. I try not to get it onto the cardboard template because they are a bit more tricky to remove from the fabric hexagons. 

These are Tilda fabrics. I wanted them to blend together, rather than having any feature fabrics.

Once I had hand pieced the hexagons I used white hanky linen as the base fabric. I was thinking about using my spray basting glue, but was a bit worried about it making marks on the really fine linen.

The Crafty Neighbour loves the effect of stipple quilting, particularly the way that it makes applique "pop" out from the background. The stippling needed to be perfect on the background.

I was so pleased. It was my neatest ever machine quilting.


Then I trimmed and used the wee star fabric for the binding. It is about time I mastered mitered corners. A goal for the next quilt?


This is such a cute little quilt. I loved making a mini because it didn't feel arduous, and was great for experimenting. The mini hexagons are adorable. I love them.

2 comments: