Saturday, 28 June 2014

Vogue disasters

When I decided to blog about my sewing activities I thought maybe I'd have a few disasters along the way. Well, sorry to say Project One - Vogue 8875 - the dress - was so damn ugly I aborted that mission at the muslin stage. I am curvy, and my waist is most definitely the area that needs to be nipped in to avoid making me look like the side of a house. V8875 has no nipping, and the bodice is quite blousy (read "sack like"). The coat, which does nip in at the waist, would be a better proposition, so all is not lost. 

So back to the pattern shop, and after perusing the latest catalogues, I purchased this pattern for Project Two - Vogue 8998 - described promisingly as "Vogue Easy Options."
 I had only two metres of fabric and decided to make a muslin for View E, as that required the least fabric.
 Look Easy/Facile!
 Well, this bugger of a pattern makes me think that my body and Vogue have completely different ideas about what a normal human looks like. I am exactly the size I cut, as per the pattern instructions. I did the bust size required (this pattern has four bust options and tells you exactly how to work out which one to cut). Again, I'm using an old sheet, with added paint splotches, for my muslin. Use what you have, I say.

Take a look at the freaky fit on this bodice. Ruby, my loyal assistant, is my size. I know cause she got a good once over with the tape measure after this fiasco occurred.
 Shoulders - huge tucks required. Waist about right but gaping at the shoulder blades.
 Huge tuck required down middle front. Princess seams look weird. Bust too big. Side seams require an inch taken out on each side. With shoulder tucks the bodice is too short and the neck too high.
 There are so many fitting issues that I decided to shelve this beastie for a while, and I'll return to it at a later date when I have a bit more experience with altering patterns.

Enter Project Three. Gertie's Sultry Sheath. I do think the photograph of this dress doesn't do it justice, and Gertie acknowledges that the satin is difficult to photograph. I have the pattern so no more financial outlay is required. And I'm desperate to have a success. Gertie will hold my hand all the way with her instructions and diagrams. Wish me luck!
 This bodice can have a gathered skirt added.
 Or a square neckline can be drafted instead of the sweetheart neckline. Gertie makes it look so easy.
I'm making the original, just like the red dress pattern. I'll do a bodice muslin to check the fit, then we shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment